The IRC’s mission is to help people whose lives and livelihoods have been shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and regain control of their futures. We serve people in crisis across the globe who have fled their homes or remained in their communities. Our vision is to lead the humanitarian field by implementing high-impact, cost-effective programmes for people affected by crisis, and by using our experience to shape policy and push for change.
In particular, we seek improved outcomes for our clients in the following five focus areas:
• Safety from physical, sexual and psychological harm;
• Reduced risk of ill health and better chances of recovery from ill health;
• Education in terms of literacy and numeracy, as well as foundational, vocational and life skills;
• Economic wellbeing by addressing basic material needs, income and asset growth;
• Giving people the power to influence decisions that affect their lives.
This report highlights how we have put this into practice.